[Samba] Windows 7 64-bit drivers / cupsaddsmb

Allison Jones ajones at answers4families.org
Thu May 13 10:24:41 MDT 2010

I'm getting ready to migrate my office of 50+ Windows XP machines to
Windows 7, in a mix of 64-bit and 32-bit clients.  I've setup a new
samba server on a separate domain to prepare and test for this
transition.  I've gotten everything to work so far except for printing,
and I'm at a loss on how to proceed.  It appears to me as if adding the
printer drivers in the usual way, via cupsaddsmb will not work for the
64-bit clients (see http://www.cups.org/articles.php?L376 and
http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2566).  I've searched for a solution, and
asked on IRC.

My goal is to be able to print with 64-bit Windows 7 to a samba/cups
server, with automatic printer driver download.  If cupsaddsmb is not
the answer, what is?

Thanks,

Allison

Allison Jones                    E-mail: ajones at answers4families.org
IT Administrator                 Phone: (402)472-0458
University of Nebraska Lincoln Center on Children, Families, and the Law
http://www.answers4families.org  http://www.ccfl.unl.edu/