[Samba] select read/write access by user or group?

William P.N. Smith w_smith at compusmiths.com
Wed May 12 14:48:19 MDT 2010

This should be simple, but I've been pounding my head against it for
several hours, and I'm not getting the result I want.

I'd like to be able to select shares, whether they are the root of a
drive or /home/username and designate who can read and who can read/write.

Does Samba have it's own groups to go with it's own users?

I really can only use "security = user" in this case...

I'd like to do something like give the root user read/write access to
the root of the drive, give user roy read-only access to the root of the
drive, and give user willie read/write access to /home/pictures, is
there a way to do that with Samba or is that a Linux/groups/acl kind of
thing?

It seems if I have a share that someone can read, anyone can read it, is
that right?

There are some hints in the default smb.conf like:
# A publicly accessible directory, but read only, except for people in
# the "staff" group
;	[public]
;	comment = Public Stuff
;	path = /home/samba
;	public = yes
;	writable = yes
;	printable = no
;	write list = +staff

but +staff isn't documented anywhere (user or @group is, but not
+staff), and adding creating a Linux group called staff and adding users
to it doesn't help.

Thanks in advance for any hints!