[Samba] samba3 and samba4 in the same domain?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at wpkg.org
Tue May 11 02:30:20 MDT 2010

Am 11.05.2010 06:59, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Am 11.05.2010 03:08, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>> On Mon, 2010-05-10 at 14:40 +0200, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
>>> I have a Samba3 + OpenLDAP installation.
>>>
>>> How can I make Samba4 running on a different server be in the same
>>> domain, have the same users etc.?
>>
>> I presume you mean mixing both Samba3 and Samba4 domain controllers in
>> one domain? This is not possible. Any upgrade to samba4 would prevent
>> you running a Samba3 DC. We don't support 'mixed mode' like that.
>
> Yes, that's more or less what I want to do.
>
> Any workarounds?
>
> Like "Samba4 winbind" fetching users from Samba3?

There is a page titled "Seamless Migration from Samba3 to Samba4":

http://www.samba.org/~jelmer/soc.html

Not sure how far this project is?

Something like "wipe out all Samba4 users, retrieve/synchronize them
again from Samba3 LDAP once a day" would be sufficient for me for a start.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org