[Samba] Vista error 67 The network name cannot be found

Gary Dunn osp at aloha.com
Mon May 10 22:51:11 MDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-05-07 at 09:57 +0000, osp at aloha.com wrote:

> >>It works with out-of-the-box Vista. I'll examine the logs and post what
> >>falls out tomorrow.
> >
> >I compared the log from the successful Vista connect to the one from the
> >failed connect. Below are several excerpts. Lines that begin with "S" are
> >from the successful log, and lines that begin with "F" are from the failed
> >log. I can post the entire log if that will help.
>
> [snip]
>
> No replies to that post, so I tried to simplify by changing from "security
> = user" to "security = share." I also simplified the share settings as
> given in the handbook under "Reference Documentation Server." My thinking
> was that is was user authentication that was failing, so an old fashioned
> share with no access controls might work.
>
> Almost, but not quite.
>
> The FreeBSD smbclient connects fine without specifying -U. I could "get"
> the sample file just fine. In Vista the drive will connect but when I try
> to access I get "An unexpected network error occurred." No error number (59
> seems to be most often associated). Interesting that the occurs when
> accessing, not when connecting, suggesting a permissions issue. I did not
> see anything about the failure in the log for that client, so it looks as
> though the access request never made it to smbd.
>
> Could this be a firewall issue? But then why does smbclient succeed?
>
> Should I try Samba 4.0?

Still looking for help with this. I do not want to repost the log files
unless there is interest. If anyone with a strong Vista background cares
to take a look I'll be happy to forward all the data to them.

The issue appears to be how to get a "locked down" version of Vista to
connect to a Samba share. The Vista clients are members of a domain, the
Samba server is not.

--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
osp at aloha.com