[Samba] Samba on top of Windows?

Steve Blackwell zephod at cfl.rr.com
Wed May 5 09:52:48 MDT 2010

On Wed, 05 May 2010 17:28:08 +0200
Public Mailing Lists <lists at lists.cichon.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just bought a brand new PC for my living room (Asus eee Box) that
> happens to come with Windows 7. I can nicely plug in large USB hard
> drives, any my intention was to share these harddrives on the network,
> for example with my old Windows 98 PC on which I still run some
> favorite computer games. And of course, I would also like to access
> the large harddrive occasionally from my linux box (e.g. to put
> backups on them).
>
> However, I had to learn that Windows 7 does not want to share my
> harddrive with the other computer on the network that are not Windows
> 7. All tried all different kinds of things: I switched off the "home
> group", I switched off various encryption/security settings in the
> control panel. I even changed some registry settings that I googled
> from the web. All without success. I spare you the technical details
> on this...
>
> I can't understand why it has to be so hard to just export a simple
> harddisk on the network. With every single version upgrade of Windows,
> it breaks. From Windows 95 to Windows 98. From Windows 98 to Windows
> XP. And now with Windows 7, again. IMHO, the purpose of networking is
> to COMMUNICATE with whichever protocol is out there.
>
> I don't want to deal with neither Windows domain controllers, nor home
> groups, nor roaming profiles, nor encryption requirements, nor
> anything that Windows will come up with in the next release that
> breaks everything else. I would like just export a hard disk with a
> user-name and a password and use it with everything from Windows 3.1
> to my Linux box without getting a headache.
>
> So, my question is:
> Is it possible to run Samba on top of Windows?
>
> Thanks for your help in advance.
>
> Cheers,
> G.

No answer, I'm afraid but a similar problem.
My wife's laptop died and the new one came with Windows 7. The old one
had Vista on it and I had it set up so that she could access her
account on my F11 box and I could run BackupPC to back up her laptop on
my computer.
With Windows 7, I can't even get it to "see" my Linux box although
pinging to my IP address works fine. According to what documentation I
could find, Windows only wants to network with other Windows boxes. I
did find a reference on a forum to something about Linux not doing DNS
correctly but that probably means not doing it the non-standard Windows
way.
I'll be interested in any answers you get.

Good luck,
Steve