[Samba] Printer Admin Difficulties

Jeff Hardy hardyjm at potsdam.edu
Tue May 4 18:08:34 MDT 2010

On 04/01/2010 05:39 PM, Jeff Hardy wrote:
> I have been trying to setup a new print server on Fedora 12 based around
> samba-3.4.7-58.fc12.x86_64 and cups-1.4.2-28.fc12.x86_64. All looks good
> except for the ability for printer administrators to manage printers.
> Whether I specify users in a system group using the deprecated printer
> admin option, or specifically using net rpc rights and the
> SePrinterOperatorPrivilege, it does not matter. This is against an NT4
> domain on samba-3.4.2.

After a tdb wipe, I ended up with no users who can manage printers.
This at least made the behavior consistently broken.  I ended up trying
samba 3.3 and 3.2 seeking some way to manage printers.  Only by going
back to samba-3.2.15 built from a Fedora 10 source RPM was I able to
restore functionality by way of the printer admin option.  The
SePrinterOperatorPrivilege did not seem to work in any version no matter
what I did.  Surely other folks are managing printers with sambas later
than 3.2.x I would think.  Anyone have any experience like this?

-Jeff

--
Jeffrey M Hardy
Systems Analyst