[Samba] how to clear winbind cache

Andrew Masterson Andrew.Masterson at nuvistaenergy.com
Tue May 4 13:43:02 MDT 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: samba-bounces at lists.samba.org
[mailto:samba-bounces at lists.samba.org] On Behalf Of Liutauras Adomaitis
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 1:13 PM
To: samba at lists.samba.org
Subject: [Samba] how to clear winbind cache

Hello all,

I'd like to know how to clear winbind cache. The problem is that we have
decided to change uid and gid mapping range, but changing smb.conf
accordingly didn't help. We use ldap as backend. After deleting all
idmap
entries in ldap nothing changed. If we disable winbindd caching with -n
switch we receive desired effect - users get mapped to new uids and
gids.
Restarting winbindd without -n reverts everything back - users are
mapped to
old id's. Stoping winbind, removing winbind_cache.tdb file and starting
winbind doesn't solve the issue.

Liutauras

Whenever I want a clean start I nuke the entire /var/lib/samba directory
and restart samba, and let samba repopulate everything automatically.
This was after many hours of scouring through the .tdb documentation
which is outdated within a couple of months of being published, and just
deciding to be inelegant about it.  You may just need to remove all
winbindd* files (like winbindd_idmap.tdb).

Make a backup beforehand of course.

-=Andrew