[Samba] Long Delay on Fresh Windows 7 Clients

Mon May 3 18:04:53 MDT 2010

It may also be network discovery, and/or an IPv6 issue. Windows 7 tries to default to IPv6. There is no NETBIOS or WINS in IPv6, so DNS is pretty much mandatory (there also is Network Discovery, which is basically UPnP renamed).

My guess is that in your case, Windows 7 first tries to resolve 192.168.0.13 to an IPv6 address using DNS. Then it probably tries to look for it with UPnP. Only when those two fail would it use IPv4.

Disabling IPv6 is really a bad idea, but with Samba it may be your only option.