[Samba] Samba4 and keytabs

Jussi Vainionpää jussinsambalist at vainionpaa.net
Mon May 3 09:33:32 MDT 2010

Hello,

I installed Samba4 according to the HOWTO. The provisioning created a
user (dns) and a keytab for DNS updates, but the service principal in
the keytab seems to be wrong for me (the domain name instead of
ns1.domainname).

What would be the correct way of changing / adding service principals
associated with a user and re-generating the keytab?

I got the dns updates working by adding a new user with ADUC and
creating the keytab with ktpass on a windows machine joined to the
domain, but that seems unnecessarily complicated and results in a keytab
with different encryption methods compared to the one created by provision.

Besides dns, service principals and keytabs are needed also for a bunch
of other services (imap, smtp, http); would the same methods apply?