[Samba] Long Delay on Fresh Windows 7 Clients

Michele Petrazzo - Unipex michele.petrazzo at unipex.it
Mon May 3 00:16:03 MDT 2010

smbatsc at gmx.com wrote:
> When I type \\sambahost\sharename, a prompt for the username and
> password will eventually appear (and let me authenticate
> successfully) but it takes almost forever (i.e. 1-5 minutes) until
> that prompt dialog box appears.

Last week week my customer call me for the same problem where I
installed an "old" version of samba (like yours) without local dns.
After some tests, a simple bind9 + master local zone and reversed one
solved the problem.
I don't know further technical details, but I presume that 7 _need_ a
reply from a dns. If it not find a good one, before gone to timeout and
switch to wins resolution, it took *a lot of time*

Michele