[Samba] Samba 3.3.12/3.4.7/3.5.2 on "ancient" server stops responding/dies

Luca Olivetti luca at wetron.es
Sun May 2 02:43:44 MDT 2010

Al 30/04/10 16:48, En/na Luca Olivetti ha escrit:
> En/na Luca Olivetti ha escrit:
>> En/na Luca Olivetti ha escrit:
>>> En/na Luca Olivetti ha escrit:

>>> I now tried both to rebuild 3.0.11 (to see if there is some problem
>>> with my build system), and it still works fine, and 3.3.0 (trying to
>>> bisect when the problem was introduced) and it still fails the same
>>> way with a slight difference:
>> [...]
>>> And smbd dies (with 3.3.12 it also died but not until the next query).
>>
>>> I'm going to try earlier versions.
>>
>> Up to now I've tried 3.0.37 (works fine) and 3.2.3.
>> 3.2.3 still hangs a minute or so between the first and the second part
>> to the reply of smbclient -L *but* it completes the command, doesn't
>> die and otherwise seems to work fine.
>
> After a long round of bisecting I found that the last working version
> (apart from the 1 minute delay) is 3.2.5.
> I didn't find anything like this about 3.2.6 in the mailing list :-/

If I use "smbclient -L localhost" instead of "smbclient -L hp", one of
the smbd child dies silently (at least the master process complains that
it doesn't find its pid any longer) right after searching for the domain
record in ldap (with apparently a successful result).
Thinking that maybe the problem was related with ldap client libraries,
I updated ldap to 2.4.19 (only the client libraries, didn't touch the
server) but the problem persisted, so maybe that's just a red herring.

Any hint on how to debug this further?

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004 (Ext.133)  Fax +34 93 5883007