[Samba] Updrading samba

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Sat May 1 18:06:56 MDT 2010

maulikm at email.com put forth on 4/29/2010 5:38 AM:

From: http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS4434907782.html

"Fortunately, there are two ways to fix this problem. The first is just to
force Vista to use the NTLM protocol as well as NTLM2. To do that, use these
commands:

Click "Start -> Run." Then, type in the Run field: "secpol.msc." That will
bring you to Vista's security policy system. Once there, use "Go to: Local
Policies > Security Options" and then find "Network Security: LAN Manager"
authentication level. Once there, change the Setting from "Send NTLMv2
response only" to "Send LM & NTLM -- use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated."

Ta-da! My Vista workstation could use my Seagate drives.

The better long-term solution is to upgrade any of your Samba servers to
3.0.22 or higher, since they can handle NTLMv2. 3.0.21 will also do the
trick, but it has a security hole in it, so if you're still using it,
upgrade as soon as possible. The most recent stable version of Samba is
3.0.23d, and I highly recommend it."

Upgrading to Samba 3.0:
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/upgrading-to-3.0.html

--