[Samba] File writing only works with chmod o+w

Remy Horton Remy.Horton at bristol.ac.uk
Wed Mar 31 20:52:58 MDT 2010

Morning,

I'm running Samba 3.2.15 on a Slackware box, and I am accessing it from a
Windows Server 2003 machine that has been setup as a workstation and is
not part of a domain. I can login fine, but writing/renaming of files only
works if the world-write permission is set (either via chmod or via
Windows permissions for user group Everyone).

Oddly enough newly created files have the correct ownership, and for some
reason this only affects access from Windows Server 2003 - access from
Windows2000/XP/7 and Nautulas is not affected.

Any ideas? Below is my smb.conf..

[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
server string = Mausoleum