[Samba] XP clients regularly lost mapped samba share. samba 3.5

Helmut Hullen Hullen at t-online.de
Wed Mar 31 15:29:00 MDT 2010

Hallo, John,

Du meintest am 31.03.10:

>>> I am working in a (very small) LAN with a Samba 3.4.x server, a
>>> Windows- 2000 client and a Windows XP-Home client.

>> They just can not use "P" drive after some time.
>> 1. User simple mount network share as permanent drive named "P". All
>> ok. 2. Some time later,in the morning, user come and starting the
>> job and see disconnected drive "P".
>> 3. I very confused, because i have 2 Win XP Professional clients,
>> who never lost mapped disks. Second thing = They never had same
>> problems with 2003 (as they say)

> Automatic disconnection after a period of inactivity is normal and by
> clicking on the drive reconnect without issue. Is that not working?

Windows XP Home (in my LAN): no such problem.
Windows 2000: automatic disconnection. And clicking on the share name
doesn't help in any case, clicking on the "target" icon doesn't help in
any case (sometimes it helps).

Only "net view <IP-address>" or "search computer" does reconnect in
every case. Nasty.

Changing the registry as shown in

 <http://arktur.de/FAQ/content/38/217/de/samba_freigabe-verschwindet.html>

doesn't help. I've set "disconnect" to 7220, but the system (Windows
2000) disconnects after about 15 minutes.

Samba 3.2, 3.4 and 3.5

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut