[Samba] security = share

Cassian Braconnnier ptyxs at free.fr
Tue Mar 30 11:35:42 MDT 2010

Le 30/03/2010 12:09, Cassian Braconnnier a écrit :
> Le 29/03/2010 21:54, Jeremy Allison a écrit :
>> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 09:45:06PM +0200, Cassian Braconnier wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> in "Using Samba" by G. Carter, J  Ts and R. Eckstein, 3rd edition, on
>>> chapter 5, page 113, I ses that the security = share option is
>>> "deprecated". It is said that "there is a high chance that ... will be
>>> removed from Samba at some future time".
>>>
>>> I find that security = share is extremely useful for many small non
>>> critical networks.
>>> Is it still the case that this option is considered "deprecated" ? and
>>> if so what is supposed to replace it and to give the same
>>> functionality ?ier
>> Well you can replace security = share with the correct "map to guest"
>> options, so it really isn't useful in the way you think. Having said
>> that we haven't (yet) removed it, and I just refactored the code
>> that implements it, so it'll probably be around causing us trouble
>> for a while yet :-).
>>
>> Jeremy.
>>

> With "security = share", the user, on a Windows client, has just to
> click on the computer icon and everything is there, available.
> As far as I can see (but maybe I am mistaken), with "map to guest" a
> dialog opens with identifier and password fields : something very
> troublesome for the average non professional user (potentially
> millions of users throughout the world). If so, from the point of view
> of non professional users, to remove "security = share" would be a
> considered a regression, it seems.
> Cassian Braconnier

And of course  second problem is that you have to have a guest account
set up on your computer, I guess. "security = share" is so much simpler,
please don't remove it ! Think of ordinary users...
Cassian Braconnier

--
Ce courriel a été émis à partir du système d'exploitation
Linux - Préférez les logiciels