[Samba] Samba & (anonymous) LDAP Authentication

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 07:45:34 MDT 2010

Unix and Windows/Samba servers both store passwords in a one-way
encrypted format.  So when you authenticate to a server, you type in
your password, the server encrypts it and compares it to the encrypted
version it has it is password database.        This is is important
since your encrypted password data may (legitimately or not)  be
accessible to other people.  This is a separate from any network level
encryption that may be used.  (For example, if you telnet into a server
your password is stored in an encrypted format but the password is still
transmitted in the clear.)

Unix and Windows use different password encryption methods which means
that they have to have different encrypted passwords stored,  which
means the users have to have different passwords.    (Unix uses things
like CRYPT or MD5.)   You can have unix use the windows password via
Winbindd.   However to have  Windows/Samba use the unix password (which
is what you want) you would have to configure samba to disable the
password encryption (which is what you don't want.)    I am not sure the
exact syntax and I am pretty sure if is strongly discouraged.

As far as I know, you can not use Windows password encryption routines
for the unix passwords directly.