[Samba] Samba SMB throughput

Tue Mar 30 06:50:27 MDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 08:59:06PM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Mahmud Siddiqi put forth on 3/29/2010 5:40 PM:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > Quoting from Samba Team Blog #2 (25 Sept 2009):
> >
> > "Volker showed how to get more than 700MB/sec from Samba using
> > smbclient and a modern Samba server, which shows what you can
> > really do when you understand the protocol thoroughly and don't feel
> > you have to invent a new one (SMB2 :-)."
> >
> > Would it be possible to get a complete accounting of how this was achieved?
>
> First off, that's a misprint, unless this test was done with 10GbE ethernet,
> which I highly doubt.  The test was likely done with 1 GbE.  Thus it should
> read 700 Mb/s in that quote.  Big B is Bytes, small b is bits.

In that test I did see >700 megabytes per second, certainly
over 10GbE on pretty powerful hardware. One of those raw tcp
throughput testers showed the hardware does around 800
megabytes per second. The trick was to read from a huge RAM
disk together with a well-tuned smbclient from 3.2 to do
multi-issue of SMB requests. This was really a test to see
how much overhead smbd alone does.

Volker