[Samba] Upgrading bundled Samba in Mac OS X to 3.5.1?

Donald Aehl donaehl at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 12:56:40 MDT 2010

Hi. I just joined the Samba mailing list and this is my first question.

I would like to upgrade on of my PowerPC Macs (running Mac OS X
10.5.8) to Samba 3.5.1 without stomping on the bundled installation
(3.0.25b-apple).

This is something I've never attempted before, and though I've made
progress, I'm stuck trying to figure out how to override Apple's
version of Samba.

So far, I've downloaded the source to Samba 3.5.1 and successfully
compiled it, but I was following some obsolete instructions:
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/using_samba/ch02.html

Which only covers installing Samba 2.2 on Mac OS X version 10.2 (so
it's a few years out of date).
I'm stuck at the "Darwin and Mac OS X" section because the indicated
directory doesn't exist in Mac OS X 10.5:
/System/Library/StartupItems/Samba/

I searched for files and directories containing the word "samba"
throughout my system directory, and the only item that looked
promising to me was:
/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.Samba.winbindd.plist
But I have no idea if this is important or how I'd go about editing it
(I know how to edit a plist, I just don't know which values to change
or to what)

So I'm wondering if anyone has done this or could provide assistance?
I've posted a similar question on Apple's Support Discussion forum and
have gotten no responses yet. I presume this is an unusual thing for a
Mac user to do.

The reason I want to do it is because I own a Samsung BD-P3600 that
supports network media streaming, and it has some bugs in it's
networking implementation that were specifically addressed in Samba
3.5. So this Mac is basically a media server for me, and all I want to
do is override the installed version of Samba without removing it (as
well as locking my configuration so no future Apple update can reverse
my modification without my permission).

Anyway, if anyone could provide assistance or point me in the right
direction, I'd appreciate it.