[Samba] mac osx users have files written with non group permissions for some reason

Harondel J. Sibble help at pdscc.com
Mon Mar 29 09:59:14 MDT 2010

I have a strange problem I am hoping some one can help with, pc and linux
users all work fine accessing, modifying, adding and deleting files, but
anytime a mac user touches a folder or creates a new one, it gets restricted
to just their own use

This is a Debian 5 system with Samba 3.2.5, the mac's are all running OSX
10.5.x

Relevant share info

# read/write area on server (accessible to all users)
[mainshare]
        browseable = yes
        writable = yes
        path = /srv/samba/mainshare
        comment = All User Access
        valid users = @users
        force group = users
        force create mode = 0660
        force directory mode = 0771

Using any of the other mask or directory options in smb.conf has zero effect,
best I can tell by lots of testing, these get completely ignored and the
directory and file gets written with 755 permissions.  This locks out the
windows, linux and other mac users :-(

I found someone else with a similar problem here

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Server_Software/File_Servers/Samba/Q_23571514.html

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/ydox957

Before I fire up wireshark, anyone else experiencing this and how did you
solve it?
--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting