[Samba] Client access without asking password

Tim Bates tin at new-life.org.au
Fri Mar 26 23:32:09 MDT 2010

Yassine AYACHI wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I want to configure my samba [version 3.4.0] to permit access from windows
> clients without asking password,
>
> can any one propose me an example of configuration witch allows this,
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Yassine

On one of my work boxes I have one of the following (I can't remember
which and I'm not there):

map to guest = bad user
or
map to guest = bad password

This will make Samba access things as guest if they are not sending
correct username/password. Remember that this will mean all users not
already logged in will access shares as guest if guest is allowed in
those shares. I specifically deny guest access to most shares on my work
server to be sure I am preventing this. The few that need guest access
deny write access to guest.

TB