[Samba] acl_xattr vs acl_tdb

simo idra at samba.org
Fri Mar 26 11:47:00 MDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-03-26 at 10:10 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 05:57:27PM +0100, Adrian Berlin wrote:
> > Hi!
> > Thanks everyone for answer. So acl_tdb has unlimited storage for extended acls
> > and acl_xattr has 64KB per xattr?
>
> acl_tdb isn't unlimited, it's ahas a 4GB limit on the size
> of the tdb (until we get 64-bit tdb support).
>
> > I have one more question. How many acl can be stored in 64KB?
>
> Depends on the size of the ACL, which depends on how many DACL
> entries it has.
>
> Jeremy

<pedantic>
The actual correct reply to the question is 1.
As you can have no more than 1 ACL per file/directory.
</pedantic>

That said unless you have pathological ACLs with a huge number of ACEs
then 64KiB should be large enough to hold any ACL you will use for any
specific file or directory.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce