[Samba] xp logon issue

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 07:45:41 MDT 2010

On 03/26/2010 07:53 AM, Kilaru Sambaiah wrote:
> Hi,
>    I have setup Samba 3.0 as PDC and all the desktops are able to login
> and no issues. One laptop user is not
>    able to logon out side the office (PDC is not available). Win 2003,
> he doesn't have such problem. How to enable cache so that
>    user can logon even if domain is not available?
>    I tried google, but my framing may not be right, so I didn't get any
> help. Thanks in Advance.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Sam

THis sounds like an XP problem not a Samba specific problem.   Once you
have logged onto the network you should then be able to logon
"offline."  I would check Microsoft's support site,  don't include Samba
in your search strings.  I would also run gpedit.msc on the XP machine
and see if there are any security settings that can adjust the caching.
      I am pretty sure you can disable caching but I don't think it is
the default.

Gpedit.msc -> Local Computer Policy -> Computer Config -> Windows
Settings -> Security Settings -> Security Options
     -> Interactive Logon: Number of previous logons to cache:

By default it is 10.  I think that means it let the last 10 users to
logon on online also logon off line.  I don't think it means that you
can only logon offline 10 times.    (I  have a laptop that I rarely
logon to in the office and I have not had problems.)