[Samba] PDC migration from suse 8.2 - samba 2.2.7 ldap - to latest versions on ubuntu 8.04

Vladimir Psenicka vladimir.psenicka at prodeco.cz
Thu Mar 25 02:33:04 MDT 2010

What about Debian Stable with Sernet samba repo, where you can choose
Samba 3.4.x or 3.5.x

My hints on migrating to new server:

1. install new server (Samba,ldap etc.)
2. set same hostname on new server
3. export ldap data from old server and import them to new server
4. export SID (net getlocalsid) and set it on new server (net
setlocalsid oldsid)
5. configure samba on new server as PDC with ldap and shares in smb.conf
from old samba smb.conf (check with testparm)
6. stop samba on old server
7. copy all data (with perms) and netlogon share to new server
8. stop old server
9. start samba on new server a check everything is working fine (domain
logon from windows box, shares and perms)

This can be done best when no users are logged in samba (maybe at weekend?)

P.S. We have ubuntu 8.04 as PDC and Windows 7 can't join to domain

Vladimir Psenicka
IT system engineer
PRODECO, a.s.
Tel.: 417 633 762