[Samba] 3.5 in Debian Squeeze?

Christian PERRIER bubulle at debian.org
Wed Mar 24 00:21:32 MDT 2010

Quoting Robert LeBlanc (robert at leblancnet.us):
> What is the milestone that will get 3.5 into Debian Squeeze?

We're still in the process of deciding whether we'll go for 3.4.* or
3.5 for squeeze.

There are arguments for both:

- 3.4.* releases are now rock solid and the risk of "important" issues
to be discovered that would make these versions unsuitable for
production servers is not very high while 3.5.* are fairly young as of
now.

- Strong support by the Samba Team for 3.4.* releases will be
decreasing rapidly in the upcoming months and it might become hard to
make this release alive for the planned two years of lifetime (at
minimum) that squeeze will have after it's released. There are also
several improvements bringed by 3.5 which our users would benefit from.

My own stance is to go for 3.5 and, as one of the maintainers, I'll
push for it. However, I want to ask to the Debian release team about
their feeling for pushing point releases (3.5.2, 3.5.3, etc.) in
squeeze during the time squeeze is frozen....It would help a lot if
they agree that we can do this even late in the release process but
you can imagine that they can't say "yes" to all such
requests...otherwise the freeze is no longer a freeze.

A key point is having my co-maintainer (Steve Langasek) advice about
this. Other co-maintainers have agreed for having 3.5 in squeeze
(particularly Matthieu Parent, who maintains ctdb)