[Samba] [Fwd: printer device settings not saved for normal domain users on ubuntu 9.10]

Ming Yan myan at judcom.nsw.gov.au
Tue Mar 23 22:57:14 MDT 2010

Hi Ryan,

Sorry about my post. I have a samba 3.4.0 server running on ubuntu 9.10
with cups. I set up the printer sharing in smb.conf with following details

|[global]|
printing = cups
printcap name = cups
cups options = raw

[printers]
comment = All Printers
browseable = no
path = /var/spool/samba
printable = yes
guest ok = no
read only = yes
create mask = 0700
use client driver = no

# Windows clients look for this share name as a source of downloadable
# printer drivers
[print$]
comment = Printer Drivers
path = /var/lib/samba/printers
browseable = yes
read only = yes
guest ok = no
write list = root, @Systems, "@Domain Admins"

|Then I download CUPS drivers from |http://www.cups.org/software.php and
copy these files |to /usr/share/cups/drivers|
cups6.inf
cups6.ini
cups6.ppd
cupsps6.dll
cupsui6.dll

Then I copy Windows postscript drivers from
|%WINDIR%\SYSTEM32\SPOOL\DRIVERS\W32X86\3 |to the same directory
/|usr/share/cups/drivers|

ps5ui.dll
pscript.hlp
pscript.ntf
pscript5.dll

Then I add a printer from CUPS web interface with correct socket address
and PPD file.
After that, I publish this printer to Samba with

cupsaddsmb -U Administrator -v printer_name

and grant printer admin rights to Administrator

net -U Administrator rpc rights grant Systems SePrintOperatorPrivilege

Then I login from a Windows client machine as Administrator and go to
\\samba_server

    * click on Printers and Faxes(printers on the samba server)
    * right click the printer and select Properties
    * select Advance and select install driver for the printer.

The driver is properly uploaded to the server and I can change the
Device settings and enable duplex unit and specify memory size.

It all went very well except that if I login as a normal user and add
the network printer I just set up. I only see default Device settings
with no duplex unit and default memory size. However, if I login as
Administrator, I can the Device settings are saved as I set up.

Normal domain users only have print permission. But they should also get
the default device settings and printing settings after the
administrator set them up. Now I have to give all domain users  Manage
Printer rights to allow them to get the proper device setting
information. I think that is an issue. You have any idea? Any tips will
be much appreciated. Thanks.

Ming