[Samba] way to get smbclient to do "dir *\filename"?

Jason Haar Jason.Haar at trimble.co.nz
Tue Mar 23 16:24:49 MDT 2010

Says it all really. I'm hoping there's some escape char trick I could do
to make this work? Recursing through all the directories would obviously
work, but this is for a script that runs over the WAN, so performance is
a major issue - I literally just want to see if a file exists in one of
the next layers down. Just getting the wildcard through (I think CIFS
allows that?) would solve the problem. I could use mount.cifs - but this
scripts runs massively in parallel and I dread mounting and unmounting
on that scale - smbclient is the perfect tool for the job (if only it
worked ;-)

I've tried this with 3.2.11, I'm assuming it still affects the current
version

Thanks!

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417