[Samba] Samba 3.4.7 on Debian Squeeze does not allow Vista machines to connect to shares XP users can connect though

Robert LeBlanc robert at leblancnet.us
Tue Mar 23 08:21:24 MDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 3:31 AM, Siju George <sgeorge.ml at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The following
>
> ii  samba                                2:3.4.7~dfsg-1
> SMB/CIFS file, print, and login server for Unix
> ii  samba-common                         2:3.4.7~dfsg-1
> common files used by both the Samba server and client
> ii  samba-common-bin                     2:3.4.7~dfsg-1
> common files used by both the Samba server and client
>
> are installed on a squeeze ( 2.6.32-3-686 #1 SMP Thu Feb 25 06:14:20
> UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux )
>
> but when I connect from Vista Systems to the shares I am unable to do it.
> With the same username and password I can connect the users from
> Windows XP systems though.
>
> ( ***There is another samba server on OpenBSD 4.6 ( samba-3.0.34p1-ads
> ) which allows the users to connect from Vista Systems without any
> trouble*** )
> [snip]
>
> What could be the trouble?
>
> Thanks
>
> --Siju

I am seeing similar troubles. We started testing Windows 7 and I thought the
problems were related to that and since 3.5.1 is in Experimental, I just put
off the project a little bit. However on the only Vista machine I have, I am
noticing problems there as well. XP is working fine here. I haven't had the
time to try any troubleshooting.

Robert LeBlanc
Life Sciences & Undergraduate Education Computer Support
Brigham Young University