[Samba] Samba4 as a "plain LDAP" server?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Mar 21 01:52:44 MDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 16:42 +0000, SMC wrote:
> On Monday 15 March 2010 22:42:41 Mike wrote:
> > I may well be insane, but as soon as I read your question, I thought
> > "how novel" and now want to find out the answer, myself.
>
> Well, not necessarily novel if I reword my question as "Would I still have to
> maintain two separate authentication databases if I want to use Samba4 with
> some non-Microsoft clients that don't have Samba installed?"
>
> For example, can Samba4 work with mail or web servers that can authenticate
> via "LDAP", or simple Linux workstations that I don't necessarily want to
> implement and maintain full-scale "ActiveDirectory(tm)"-mode authentication
> for?

Simple 'LDAP authentication' (doing a simple bind) is supported, just as
it in AD.

> I haven't found any documentation so far that indicates either way whether
> this works.  For obvious reasons, the existing Samba4 documentation seems to
> be almost exclusively about controlling Microsoft Windows clients.

What works or not really depends on what the client is expecting the
LDAP server to contain.  We can't display a posix-like view, because the
clients we have expect an AD like view.

> If it's a case of "it SHOULD work but nobody's tested it yet", I'd be quite
> willing to help with the testing...

Development and exploration of way we can maintain the best of both
worlds is wanted.  We have to be an AD server first, but I'm open to
ideas for how we can be better as well.

Andrew Bartlett

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.