[Samba] Failing to join NT 4.0 Server to a Samba 3.4.0 Domain

Jochen Eggemann Jochen.Eggemann at nw-fva.de
Wed Mar 17 02:04:54 MDT 2010

Am 16.03.2010 17:51, schrieb Gaiseric Vandal:
> On 03/16/2010 10:09 AM, Jochen Eggemann wrote:
>> HI,
>>
>> we had a server crash and luckily no backup. So our samba domain is
>> gone, so I had to set up a new server with a new domain. Except for one
>> NT 4.0 Server all XP clients where able to join this new domain.
>>
>> When trying to put NT4 into the domain I get following error:
>> make_connection: refusing to connect with no session setup. What changes
>> in samba could be the reason for this message? This NT Server had no
>> problem joining the former domain.
>>
>> Jochen
>>

> What version of samba was the previous DC running?    I would run
> "testparm -v" and see which versions of NTLM are enabled. I am pretty
> sure you need "ntlm auth = Yes."   Also, NT4 might not support some of
> the signing options.  By default "server signing = No" is set - at
> least on my machines.   However I don't have an NT4 server so I can't
> say for sure if this helps.   Presumably you have at least SP4
> installed on your NT4 machine?
>
> I would also guess that Samba 3.4 was not heavily tested against with
> NT4 clients.

I believe it was samba 2.x.x, but I'm not sure since I had nothing to do
with it before and nobody else remembers.
My settings:
ntml auth = yes
server signing = no
NT4 has SP6a installed

Any other ideas?

Jochen
--
IT-Management
Nordwestdeutsche Forstliche Versuchsanstalt

Grätzelstr. 2
37079 Göttingen
	Tel: 0551 69 40 11 64
Fax: 0551 69 40 11 60