[Samba] Samba 3.5 slow. Help with benchmarks !

Jim Salter jim at jrs-s.net
Mon Mar 15 12:58:48 MDT 2010

I get about 51MB/sec over my gigabit LAN, serving from Samba 3.4.0 on
Ubuntu Karmic amd64 to smbclient 3.3.6 on FreeBSD 7.3-R amd64.

5tb# smbclient -I 192.168.0.20 -U user //192.168.0.20/share -c "get 1G.bin"
Enter user's password:
Domain=[BANSHEE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.0]
getting file \1G.bin of size 1073741824 as 1G.bin (50717.1 kb/s)
(average 50717.1 kb/s)

For comparison, the same transfer gets 54.8 MB/sec by FTP (using
pure-ftpd on the Ubuntu Karmic machine and wget on the FreeBSD 7.2-R
machine).  CIFS is a lot heavier than FTP, so this probably represents
"as good as it's going to get" on this particular network.

(And your gigabit network may very well be faster than mine - mine's all
cheap off-the-shelf SOHO parts.)