[Samba] Samba/Unix password sync with LDAP backend

Miguel Medalha miguelmedalha at sapo.pt
Sun Mar 14 14:07:30 MDT 2010

I have been using Samba+Linux+openLDAP. The password synchronization
between the Samba and Unix accounts works well with the use of the "ldap
passwd sync" parameter in smb.conf.

Now I am in the process of installing my first server using CentOS/Red
Hat/389 Directory Server and this does not work in the same way. It
seems that some additional software must be installed in each Windows
client machine in order to enable password sync.

I noticed that it is possible to include the "nss_map_attribute" option
in /etc/ldap.conf.
Would it be possible to map the "userPassword" attribute to the
"sambaNTPassword" attribute in order to have both password requests
pointing to a single place?

Of course I can experiment with this, but I thought that perhaps someone
here has already some acquired knowledge on this...

Thank you!