[Samba] Samba 3.5 slow. Help with benchmarks !

live.fx live.fx.mail at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 11:56:07 MDT 2010

John M. Drescher wrote:

> Socket options will not quadruple your speed.
>
> I would start by investigating the reason for slowness. Is this with
> small files? What performance do you get for a 4GB file? Could
> permissions be slowing you down? Could it be the raid?

Thanks for attention.
Yes. Most problems with small files. This is a video-production pipeline,
and users who use Adobe After Effects - show me very slow progress. 1000 or
2000 files - every file 1-2 Mb - very slow copying.

Look to this please, i try to collect all possible info:

About shared storage:

1. hdparm -Tt /dev/sdb  (sdb - is 2Tb RAID5 storage)
/dev/sdb:
 Timing cached reads:   6124 MB in  2.00 seconds = 3064.40 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  634 MB in  3.01 seconds = 210.74 MB/sec

2. time dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/RAID/Projects/TEST_FILE bs=16384
count=262144
262144+0 records in
262144+0 records out
4294967296 bytes (4.3 GB) copied, 23.9356 s, 179 MB/s

real	0m23.996s
user	0m0.061s
sys	0m13.199s

=========================

Next. I remove all socket options lines from smb.conf

service smb reload

Now i try to upload 4GB file to server and get it from server trough SMB
protocol (i use now linux clients only, because work remotely)

1. downloading 4GB test file (3 tests - just copying inside MC):
34.00 MB/s , 35 MB/s, 26 MB/s

2. uploading 4GB test file to Server:
21 MB/s, 18 MB/s, 20 MB/s

1. upload 4GB file to server FTP:
100 MB/s, 90 MB/s, 100 MB/s
2. download 4GB from Server FTP
80 MB/s, 68 MB/s, 75 MB/s

The most big problem - the copying file from Windows PC to Windows PC - is
faster. (and clients ask me - why server is slow)
Can someone please show me properly benchmarks for SAMBA performance ? I can
show more results with it.