[Samba] Question on Samba and LDAP

Götz Reinicke - IT-Koordinator goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de
Thu Mar 11 01:43:03 MST 2010

Gary Peck schrieb:
> If I have read the documentation correctly, it looks like you can not
> have a fail over LDAP server defined in the smb.conf file for the passdb
> backend.  It looks like this feature was taken away in an earlier
> release.  Is this correct?  If not could somebody steer me in the right
> direction.

Hi,

I came across an answer from the "Samba-3 by Example" Book
www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-ByExample.pdf:

Page 244, figure 6.3:

The addition of a failover LDAP server can simply be done by adding
a second entry for the failover server to the single ldapsam entry, as
shown here (note the particular use of the double quotes):
passdb backend = ldapsam:"ldap://master.abmas.biz \
ldap://slave.abmas.biz"