[Samba] [Probably OT]: Samba LDAP data migration

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Wed Mar 10 04:36:05 MST 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 11:42 +0530, mallapadi niranjan wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 11:28 AM, Zaeem Arshad <zaeem.arshad at gmail.com>wrote:
> > This is probably more of an LDAP specific question but I am sure I can
> > have a couple of pointers from the list members. So, I have this Samba
> > PDC running Samba 3.4.3 with OpenLDAP 2.3.43-3 on a CentOS 5.3 box.
> > All the user data is stored in the OpenLDAP directory. I am interested
> > in migrating this data to a Sun LDAP server that is already in place.
> > Is there any script that any of you might have come across to help
> > migrate the data from OpenLDAP to Sun? Any pointers or caveats that I
> > may have to face in such a migration? Appreciate the help.
> What about doing ldapsearch to the base tree and redirecting it to an LDIF
> and importing LDIF file to Sun DIrectory server
> but there are few thing you need to take care

Use the OpenLDAP tool slapcat to export your database (which is
typically how you made backups anyway).  The output is LDIF, so
*theoretically* you can load it into any DSA that supports the same
schema.

> 1. First stop samba service, so that no further user passowrd changes or
> machine password changes takes place

Executing slapcat is always transaction safe.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org> LPIC-1, Novell CLA
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>