[Samba] New Domain Controler (PDC) and Windows Profiles

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 08:17:44 MST 2010

On the OLD server you ideally would have typed

  net getdomainsid
  net getlocalsid

(I think you could have also used pdbedit or smbpasswd or "smbpasswd -w"
to get this info.)

The resulting SID should be the same same.  On the new machine you would
then type

  net setdomainsid SID
  net setlocalsid SID

You should also be able to on each workstation try the following
     - delete (or maybe rename)  the "new" profile
     - check the permissions on the "old" profile to make sure that it
is owned by the appropriate user.

So if you are user "Jsmith" from "MYDOMAIN", when you log into a PC it
should look for a profile directory called "jsmith."  If for some reason
that profile directory is owned by another user, it would then create a
directory called "MYDOMAIN.jsmith."

If that doesn't work you can always copy the contents from the old
profile directory into the new one and then make sure you do a reset of
the permissions.