[Samba] error today

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 09:12:41 MST 2010

On 03/08/2010 10:37 AM, John Drescher wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Mike Eggleston<mikeegg1 at mac.com>  wrote:
>
>> Morning,
>>
>> I have a user that keeps getting a temporary profile. The user is
>> logging into the machine so the authentication through samba to ldap
>> is working. The only item that looks odd to me in the machine log
>> (/var/log/samba/$MACHINE.log) is 'Re-using invalid record'. I've had the
>> user boot the machine and I've restarted samba (# service smb restart)
>> and the user is still getting the same temporary profile.
>>
>> The user was able to log in to this machine without error on Friday
>> before the weekend.
>>
>> Any ideas what to check next?
>>

> Look at the windows machine event viewer.
>
> John

You may want to rt-click on "My Computer" and check out the user profile
entries.   I ran into this last week.     Typically, the "johnsmith"
user has a local profile also called "johnsmith."  In this case the user
was linked to small profile  "johnsmith.somethingelse"  and the original
larger  "johnsmith" profile was marked as type "backup."   I deleted
the  "johnsmith.somethingelse" profile and on the next logon the
computer correctly mapped the profile to the user.    My guess is that
some file was not properly closed when he had last shutdown so that
Windows was unable to read/write where it needed.

The PC in question was a laptop.  He may have unplugged his network
cable before logging out and shutting down.

We are not using roaming profiles.