[Samba] smbclient v3.5. user mounts: setuid -> fstab

Yclept Nemo orbisvicis at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 15:19:49 MST 2010

This is pretty much a response to
http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2009-September/067058.html
except not on samba-technical.

Hi,

Well 3.5 has already been released, and since I was attached to the
previous behavior allowing setuid mounts on directories owned by
calling users (without sudo) I thought I'd throw in my voice.

Though autofs, smbnetfs and the like are interesting, they don't suite
me for several reasons
 . All require storing credentials in a file
 . Since I run multiple networks I wrap mount.cifs in a script that
perfoms the name resolution,
   In which I need access to the calling $USER and $(id -g) group information.
You're right, there are no direct replacements

You mentioned reimplementing the old behavior though only under /home
and with care to symlinks. However, should security checks for
mount.cifs match those performed by /bin/mount? What security
considerations do programs like sshfs and other FUSE clients observe,
and are they sufficient or comparable to be ported?

thanks,