[Samba] Windows 7 + Samba 3.4.5 locking problem

Lars Bensmann lars at almosthappy.de
Sun Mar 7 13:07:46 MST 2010

On Sun, Mar 07, 2010 at 06:48:47PM +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 07, 2010 at 05:09:51PM +0100, Lars Bensmann wrote:
> > Unfortunately not. Would disabling SMB2 on Windows 7 be comparable?
>
> Sure. I just did not know how to do that...

That's what I found regarding disabling SMB2:
On clients:
sc config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi
sc config mrxsmb20 start= disabled

On the server:
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
Value name: Smb2
Value type: REG_DWORD
0 = disabled
1 = enabled

To enable it again on the client:
sc config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi
sc config mrxsmb20 start= auto

I restarted the computers to be on the safe side.

The result:
http://almosthappy.de/duhLd6Tm1GQoC3j0YyiJ637IS/capture.win7.smb1.first_client (15MB)
http://almosthappy.de/duhLd6Tm1GQoC3j0YyiJ637IS/capture.win7.smb1.second_client (15MB)
(Where "second_client" means: The same computer but another client already
had the application open.)

There was no noticeble delay. So it does not seem to be related to SMB2.

> > I just checked out the git repository and compiled it. But I don't know
> > how to properly use upgrade_from_s3. I tried it with
> > # setup/upgrade_from_s3 /var/lib/samba /etc/samba/smb.conf
>
> Well, we have SMB2 in 3.5.0 as well as experimental. No need
> to go 4 :-)

I was a bit lazy and installed the packages from Debian experimental
(2:3.5.0dfsg-1). Unfortunately the upgrade made some problems. It kind of
worked, but the application did not. I was glad when I successfully
reverted all the changes. But as the problem does not seem to be SMB2
related, I did not persue this any further.

If it was helpful I could try again with 3.5.0 from the git repository.

Lars

--
Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now.
  -- Despair INC (http://www.despair.com/)