[Samba] Windows 7 + Samba 3.4.5 locking problem

Lars Bensmann lars at almosthappy.de
Sun Mar 7 09:09:51 MST 2010

On Sun, Mar 07, 2010 at 08:49:49AM +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> Do you still have Windows XP around to serve files? The Win7
> traces are naturally SMB2 which is not comparable to the
> traces against Samba that only does SMB1.

Unfortunately not. Would disabling SMB2 on Windows 7 be comparable?

> You might also try the latest Samba code from git and enable
> our experimental SMB2 support with "max protocol = smb2" and
> see if it's also fast against that.

I just checked out the git repository and compiled it. But I don't know
how to properly use upgrade_from_s3. I tried it with
# setup/upgrade_from_s3 /var/lib/samba /etc/samba/smb.conf
but I got the following error:
Reading Samba3 databases and smb.conf
Provisioning
No realm specified in smb.conf file, assuming 'PRAXIS'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup/upgrade_from_s3", line 86, in <module>
    targetdir=opts.targetdir)
  File "bin/python/samba/upgrade.py", line 415, in upgrade_provision
    serverrole=serverrole)
  File "bin/python/samba/provision.py", line 1069, in provision
    domainsid = security.dom_sid(domainsid)
TypeError: argument 1 must be string without null bytes, not str

I did not find any documentation for the script and the source code itself
also didn't give me any clues if I supplied the correct arguments.

I would really prefer using the upgrade script to provisioning a new user
database as this would probably mean I would have to change domains an all
clients when I want to switch back and forth between Samba 3 and 4.

Lars

--
Accept people for what they are -- completely unacceptable.