[Samba] Windows 7 + Samba 3.4.5 locking problem

Lars Bensmann lars at almosthappy.de
Sat Mar 6 06:50:25 MST 2010

On Sat, Mar 06, 2010 at 07:22:06AM +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 06, 2010 at 04:36:44AM +0100, Lars Bensmann wrote:
> > > Remeber to restart Samba before testing.
> > 
> > I did.
> > 
> > Can I gather any more relevant data to find out what goes wrong?
> Does the debug level you set on Samba make any difference?
> debug level = 0 is definitely faster than debug level = 10.

I just set debug level 10 for specific tests. Afterwards I set it back to
debug level 2. I guess that should not make such a big difference.

> We need network traces of the app starting against Windows
> and then the same against Samba. They are going to be huge
> and it's going to be difficult to debug, but it is the only
> way.

I already captured two traces against Samba. One for the first client
which is fast:
http://almosthappy.de/duhLd6Tm1GQoC3j0YyiJ637IS/capture.fast (16MB)
Then a capture of the second client which takes 30 seconds longer:
http://almosthappy.de/duhLd6Tm1GQoC3j0YyiJ637IS/capture.slow (26MB)

And here are two new traces. One for the first client against Windows 7
serving the files:
http://almosthappy.de/duhLd6Tm1GQoC3j0YyiJ637IS/capture.win7.first_client (11MB)
And then for the second client (although it does not have a noticable
performance impact):
http://almosthappy.de/duhLd6Tm1GQoC3j0YyiJ637IS/capture.win7.second_client (13MB)

Unfortunately, I have no clue what I should be looking for in these


When in danger or in doubt...
run in circles, scream, and shout !!!!!

More information about the samba mailing list