[Samba] Fwd: unable to access samba server from long distance

grant little grantliddle at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 21:23:29 MST 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 2:52 AM, irfaan khan <k.irfaan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a strange issue and wanted some help to resolve , I had searched on
> google but couldn't found suitable answer for the same.
>
> Well, Let you know the scenario and details of my setup.
>
> 1. I am using Centos 5.4 x86 based operating system
> 2. samba version samba-3.0.33-3.15.
> 3. I have a 1 mbps internet line.
> 4. I can access samba server from nearest area, but not from far distance.
>
> why is to so or do I have to make any changes in my smb.conf?
>
> Thanks in advance ....
>
> k.irfee

centos 5.4 comes with   selinux ON by default as I recall. I wonder if that
has something to do with it?

So help us out here: what do you mean by 'nearest area' and 'far distance'?
By 'nearest area' do you mean  by access on the samba server itself? or from
some other computer nearby?
If form another computer what are the relative ip addresses of the server
versus the computer trying to access.
Same question for from far.

Also how do we know if you should change your smb.conf unless you tel us
what you have already..

Please tell us more...

Thanks.