[Samba] 3.5 issue

Dimitri Yioulos dyioulos at firstbhph.com
Fri Mar 5 07:40:56 MST 2010

On Thursday 04 March 2010 5:58:08 pm Dimitri
Yioulos wrote:
> On Thursday 04 March 2010 5:52:14 pm you wrote:
> > samba-bounces at lists.samba.org wrote on
>
> 03/04/2010 05:48:25 PM:

> > > 03/04/2010 05:35:06 PM:

> > > Stuart,
> > >
> > > Sorry for my stupidity, but how do I
> > > use/invoke "LDFLAGS=-W1,--no-as-needed"?
> >
> > No stupid questions here :)
> >
> > LDFLAGS=-W1,--no-as-needed
> > ./configure-developer make
> >
> > > Dimitri
> > >
> > > --
>
> Stuart,
>
> I'm thinking you hit the "send" button before
> adding your reply :-) .
>
> If doing the LDFLAGS thing is part of compiling
> samba from source, I guess I'm sol since I'd
> like to stick to an RPM install.
>
> Dimitri
>
> --
> believed to be clean.

Late yesterday, a remote user called to ell me
that, while he could see shares on a box upgraded
earlier to Samba 3.5, he couldn't see any data in
them.  I confirmed that this was the case.  As
per my earlier posts, and with your help, I tried
like mad to figure out what the problem was, and
took up the fight early this morning.

First, I noted that a later 3.5 version must have
gone up over night which I hoped addressed the
libreadline issue.  I installed it, and it did,
indeed, fix that problem.  "net" commands were
available.  However, I still couldn't see data in
shares.  So, I had no choice but to roll back to
version 3.4.6.  That cleared up all problems.

This is curious, too.  On the second machine that
I'd updated to 3.5, I run the openfire IM server
(a Java-based program, if I'm not mistaken),
among other things.  After the Samba upgrade, I
could no longer get the openfire daemon to stay
up.  I didn't even suspect Samba was the problem,
but was going to roll it back anyway.  After I
did, all was right with openfire.

Thanks to both Miguel and Stuart for their help.

Dimitri

believed to be clean.