[Samba] Why isn't Samba honouring UNIX permissions? [NOT PROTECTIVELY MARKED]

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 07:39:09 MST 2010

What do the permissions look like in Windows?  I am using Samba 3.0.x on
Solaris 10 ZFS file systems, so this may not be relevant in your case.

I found that sometimes Samba/Windows interprets permissions differently
than unix.  E.g. a 660 permission in unix sometimes results in a Windows
access control entry of "deny everyone."    However, at least by
default, the combination of "windows" permissions and "unix" permissions
should result in "most restrictive" - which means if you can't do it in
unix you should not be able to to it Windows (or even if you can do it
in unix you may still be unable to do it in Windows.)

Are you able to "su - somewindowsuser" under unix to verify what they
can/cannot do what you expect?     The "default:user:rwx" and
"default:group:rwx" acls look like they may be an issue.  Although the
syntax for acl's changed with ZFS so I am a little rusty with ufs acl's.