[Samba] unix exts / wide links / symlinks

Brother Railgun of Reason alaric at caerllewys.net
Wed Mar 3 11:58:58 MST 2010

On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 10:49:40AM -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 03:38:58PM +0100, Stefan G?tz wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > How can I let recent smbd versions let unix clients access and resolve 'wide'
> > symlinks locally? My goal is that clients may use any kind of symlink (internal
> > and external to a mounted share) like on any other unix-style file system
> > without smbd interfering.
> >
> > My understanding is that since version 3.4.6, smbd effectively denies access of
> > clients to 'wide' symlinks, i.e. out of the share, when unix extensions are on.
> > That is at least the behavior I observe on my unix clients. However, the old
> > wide link behavior is desirable in my environment.
> >
> > Setting the 'wide links' option to yes and/or the 'follow symlinks' to no on the
> > server has no effect, neither globally nor on a per-share basis. Is there any
> > other way to tell smbd to not meddle with symlinks?
>
> Remove the check in lp_widelinks() (param/loadparm.c) and recompile.
>
> We got bitten badly enough by this that I don't think
> this should be a user settable parameter I'm afraid.

This can be interpreted either of two ways.  Do you mean that you think
users should not be able to *enable* following wide symlinks (which I
understand to mean symbolic links whose target is located outside the
share), or should not be able to *disable* it?

I'm not sure I can agree with either position.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.