[Samba] Standalone PDC XP-Win7 clients can't join domain.

Dale Schroeder dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com
Tue Mar 2 15:26:08 MST 2010

On 03/02/2010 3:37 PM, Adrian Levi wrote:
> On 2 March 2010 05:18, Dale Schroeder<dale at briannassaladdressing.com>  wrote:
>
>> Adrian,
>>
>> I had the same issue with Debian 3.4.3.  I eventually found an old post that
>> mentioned adding the "-i" option (if using ldap) to the "add machine script"
>> entry like this:
>>     add machine script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -i -w '%u'
>>
>> I don't know which backend you're using, but smbpasswd also supports this
>> option if adding machine accounts manually.
>> I'm unaware of why it is needed or how a non-ldap PDC could use this option
>> with an on-the-fly "add machine script" entry.  I only know that XP and Win7
>> systems could now join the domain.
>>
>> Dale
>>
> Made no difference. The machine names are turning up in the Samba
> server and have a RID attached to them
>
> earth:~# net rpc user
> Enter root's password:
> backup
> nobody
> lp
> sshd
> root
> adrian
> chantal
> postgres
> asc1
> asc2
> earth:~#

I find that in my working ldap system, only users are returned with this
command, not machines.
If you do getent passwd or getent group, do the systems show up with a
"$" appended?  They should.

     system1$:*:1011:515:Computer:/dev/null:/bin/false
     Domain Computers:*:515:system1$,system2$

Perhaps post your global section.

Dale