[Samba] Standalone PDC XP-Win7 clients can't join domain.

Dale Schroeder dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com
Mon Mar 1 12:18:20 MST 2010

Adrian,

I had the same issue with Debian 3.4.3.  I eventually found an old post
that mentioned adding the "-i" option (if using ldap) to the "add
machine script" entry like this:
     add machine script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -i -w '%u'

I don't know which backend you're using, but smbpasswd also supports
this option if adding machine accounts manually.
I'm unaware of why it is needed or how a non-ldap PDC could use this
option with an on-the-fly "add machine script" entry.  I only know that
XP and Win7 systems could now join the domain.

Dale