[Samba] Samba Forum vs. Mailing List?`!

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 30 10:42:42 MDT 2010

On 2010/06/30 19:14 (GMT+0300) Tom H. Lautenbacher composed:

> 1. If you come to Samba (or any other community project) as a NEW user, you
> could find all the previous information and communication nicely organized
> in the forum. The forum serves as a knowledgebase, which helps new users to
> integrate quickly and supports them in getting the things setup without
> pain. You can find the threads sorted in different subject-categories and
> start browsing them, or you can start a forum search, which has a much
> higher relevance of results, than a global google search.

Any given post may or may not belong in a particular subject category, may
belong in multiple categories, and may not be included in the most
appropriate category. Categorization as a benefit, absent considerable
involvement by the admin, is an illusion.

> Opposed to this: If you join NEW to a mailing list initially you do not find
> ANYTHING, but have to start collecting emails in a personal archive over the
> years (as you do). But if you need certain information NOW, the only
> alternative is to do a Google-Search which is very sub-optimal to do,
> compared to a forum search, or the logical division of subjects in a Forum.

I subscribe to well in excess of 60 mailing lists. I'm aware of none of them
that do not have a searchable archive, which may or may not use Google as its
search engine, but nevertheless limits the searches to the archive itself at
least optionally.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/