[Samba] Can Map shares but cannot write

Chris Smith smb_77 at chrissmith.org
Wed Jun 30 08:59:29 MDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 10:45 AM, Michael Lyon <mjlyon at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've simplified the share as you noted, and still have the same results.  If
> I create a file/folder on the linux side, I can read it without a problem.
>  Once I map as a Window$ client, I cannot write.

You have 'public = yes' which is the synonym for 'guest ok = yes' ,
therefore anyone should be able to write. Let's make sure we have
proper guest capabilities by adding 'username map' parameter and its
associated file. For example:
In global:
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

Contents of  /etc/samba/smbusers:
root = administrator
nobody = guest

And as the guest account is nobody make sure that the nobody account is valid.

Restart Samba and if you still have trouble it looks to be a
permissions issue on the nix side.

Chris