[Samba] xls file locked for editing by unknown user

Moray Henderson Moray.Henderson at ict-software.org
Wed Jun 30 05:03:35 MDT 2010

<Moray.Henderson at ict.om.org>
>wrote:
>> Which version of Samba?
>
>Samba version 3.2.5
>
>> Does smbstatus(1) list the file as being locked?  If so, it should
give
>a pid you can examine.  The fuser(1) and lsof(8) commands can track
which
>process has a file open.
>
>No. smbstatus returns "No locked files"
>
>> If rebooting the server does not clear the lock, there's either a
lock
>file
>> or a cached lock record somewhere.  Try /var/lib/samba/locking.tdb.
>> Although it's binary, you can grep(1) it for the filename, or use
>> tdbdump(8) to display the contents.  According to
>>
>http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#What_are_tdb
_fi
>les.3F,
>> locking.tdb is not required to persist across restarts.  I wouldn't
try
>deleting
>> this when Samba is running; even with Samba shut down I would rename
it
>> rather than deleting it.
>
>There is no file in /var/lib/samba/ called 'locking.tdb'
>The only files in that directory bearing a date later than 14th Dec
>2009 are these three:
>passdb.tdb
>registry.tdb
>wins.dat

The current .tdb files must be in a different location on Debian Lenny
Samba 3.2.5.  /var/cache/samba is another common place.  Try

  testparm -sv | grep directory

In Samba 3.4 the "state directory" and "cache directory" parameters tell
you where to find them.  Can't remember now if they were there in 3.2.
If not, use

  smbd -b | less

and look for STATEDIR and CACHEDIR in the Samba build options.

Moray.
"To err is human.  To purr, feline"