[Samba] preferred file system

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Mon Jun 28 09:16:51 MDT 2010

On 06/28/2010 09:55 AM, Chris Smith wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there a preferred file system (ext4, xfs, reiserfs, etc.) for
> hosting Samba shares used by Windows clients? What do the devs use?
>
> Chris

Chris,

What is the intended use-case for the file system?

- How large will the file system/s be?
- How deep will directories be?
- How many files per directory?
- What will be the size distribution of files across the file system?
- How many concurrent users will access the file system?
- Is it essential to have case preservation?
- What file system I/O performance is required/desired?

The answer to your question is: Yes, the file system that will best meet
your use-case requirements.

cheers,
John T.